2018年10月29日月曜日

Eng.) Statement & Biography

Takako Ihoda                          Artist Statement

“TA CHI TA SA_” (“the urge to stand”) is an ongoing series of performances that explore the urge of the human body to stand upright. In each documented performance, I trace the transition from lying on the ground to standing upright, focusing on every detail of every movement required. I am conscious about finding the equilibrium 
between the ground, weight, balance, gravity, and my body throughout the performance. The location of the performance is also an important element, as an exploration of how my body moving towards an upright position relates to the movement or positioning of environmental elements, whether it be a smokestack, the sunrise, or the surface of a lake. I also perform with musicians on occasion, in front of an audience.
I have also curated group shows, in 2011 and 2014, at Makii Masaru Fine Arts, Tokyo, titled “TA CHI TA SA_ Collaboration Exhibition” in which other painters, video artists, performers, and photographers created their own work that explored and interpreted the idea of responding physically to the environment, verticality, or the notion of “standing upright.” These experimental group shows demonstrate the diversity of how this seemingly simple subject matter can be interpreted.
My artistic practice began in painting, but my interest in the body has led me to create these performances. Experimenting with the relationship between painting and performance is something drive me to explore further in my practice.
Barnett Newman’s paintings express verticality and space, with their straight, vertical lines that defy gravity yet hold spatial depth. This relates to the concept of the “TA CHI TA SA_” series.
In 2016, I carried out the performance “Ta chi ta sa ” Confronting Barnett Newman in Amsterdam in front of “Cathedra”(1951) at Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam ,Netherlands. This evoked me a way to once again explore the core of the concept.

“Ta chi ta sa ”Confronting Barnett Newman in Amsterdam (2016) 
© 2017 Barnett Newman Foundation New York/ARS,NY./JASPAR,Tokyo E2627

Stand up as the sun rises (1997)

Stand up with Jellyfish (2014)
 Stand up against the horizon of Kanto plain (2011)